Better Quality of Life
STEVEN SMITH, PsyD, LP
Biography - "I am skilled in helping people express their stories in their own way."
My belief about therapy is this: “People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.” I do bring years of training and experience in helping people improve their lives and solve their problems; mostly, though, I bring compassion and genuine concern for people. I have a variety of skills learned over the years including psychological testing, expressive arts therapy, and helping people recognize and live according to their own personal values. Still, I find being there and caring about people is most helpful. I have found that people need to tell the story of their life: the things they have experienced that have shaped their identity. There are many ways of telling those stories, not limited to just words (although words are important), but including art, movement, and music. I am skilled in helping people express their stories in their own way.
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, Minnesota School of Professional Psychology
- Master of Arts, Counseling Psychology, University of St. Thomas
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Studio Art, University of Minnesota
- Approved Supervisor for the Licensed Professional Counseling Board
- Expressive Arts Therapy Practitioner
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Practitioner
- Certified Equine Assisted Psychotherapy – EAGALA
- 3rd Degree Black Belt and Sensei in Kyoshin Ryu Karate
State of Minnesota Licensure
LP Licensure #1569
Areas of Focus
Abuse/Violence, Academic Concerns, Acute Stress, ADHD/Learning Disorders, Adoption, Adolescents/Teens, Alcoholism/Chemical Addiction/Recovery, Anger, Anxiety, Bipolar, Children of Alcoholics, Christian Counseling, Chronic Disease/Pain/Terminal Illness, Conflict Resolution, Depression/Mood Disorders, Domestic Abuse, Dysfunctional Families, Grief/Loss, Incarceration/Re-entry, LGBTQ/Gender Issues, Men's/Women's Issues, Military/Vets/Deployment, PTSD/Trauma