Therapy sessions can be an extremely helpful tool in finding our best selves. They go a long way in empowering and enabling us to do the things that we want to do and be the person we want to be.
We understand that you might be feeling anxious and unsure about engaging in this process.
It is our hope that giving you these tips help you to feel better prepared, so you will have a better idea of what to expect, which can calm your nerves.
- Find the right therapist. Often, our personalities and conversational styles end up clicking with some people and not with others. So make sure you have a therapist who is compassionate, professional, and ready to listen to what you have to say. If you feel well cared for, you experience your therapist as really listening and “getting” you, and you like your therapist – these are good signs that you have made the right choice for yourself.
- Be willing to open up. Your therapist is there to help you, but they have to know what you are feeling and thinking in order to find the most helpful solution. Therapy sessions are a safe place where you can open up and show what is truly inside.
- Find the right balance of talking and listening. This is one situation where talking about yourself is not selfish. In fact, it’s necessary! You must also listen to your therapist to find out how you can improve. So be ready and willing to do both as your therapist prompts you.
- Don’t shy away from action. Eventually, you will end up moving from talking to acting. This can often be a scary step. Don’t shy away from taking practical steps to improve your mental health. Of course, you can start slowly and discuss your actions with your therapist along the way, but taking action is necessary.
- Take care of your body. Our bodily state often affects our minds far more than we realize. So when your body is well taken care of, your mind is more likely to feel better as well. Start with simple things – carry a water bottle with you to stay hydrated, spend a few minutes outside in the fresh air every day, and make sure to eat a few fruits or veggies on a daily basis.
- Put into practice what your therapist suggests. As you move from just talking to talking and acting, your therapist is going to suggest a few specific steps. You may or may not feel like doing these things. But remember that your therapist is there to help and encourage you on your journey of life. What they suggest is meant to strengthen and empower you. So do it to the best of your ability!
- Keep a journal. Log your feelings, both before and after the session, and reflect on how you feel the same or different since starting therapy.
- Ask close friends if they see a change in you. Of course, you want to be thoughtful when choosing who to open up to about your difficulties. However, if you have a close friend or family member who you know you can trust, talk with them about it, get their support and input. Let them check up on you regularly. It is important to have close friends in difficult times.
- Embrace the process. Growing, learning, and becoming empowered is a process. You will start by taking baby steps. But never forget that each teeny tiny victory is just that – a victory.
- A good time. This means scheduling your appointments at a good time for you. Avoid scheduling a session in the middle of a work day when you have to be ‘on’ right afterward. Give yourself time and space to process and reflect around the therapy hour.
It’s our hope that you gain a sense of peace about your first therapy session. We want you to feel empowered and at ease about the process so you get the most benefit possible.
Counseling so you can…Center your Mind and Balance your Life. CENTER your LIFE at CENTERLIFE!
Call CenterLife Counseling today to schedule an appointment today.
Fill out our online form, email or call one of our locations:
Our dedicated staff of experienced professionals is here to work with you. We want you to feel comfortable and safe when you’re visiting with us, so we would like to introduce ourselves to you. Find the therapist who may be the best match for you.